The ASPHN Board of Directors met on August 10, 2018.
· Board approved the consent agenda, which included the Expanded Member application of Abby Gold, PhD, MPH, RD (ND);
· A motion to approve Guidelines For How We Work Together passed unanimously;
· A motion to support Cheryl Hill’s participation in the Governance Committee for the Obesity Prevention Nutrition Council passed unanimously;
On behalf of ASPHN, the Policy Committee signed on to several letters:
· ASPHN Signed-on to CSPI letter in opposition to proposed amendment to the Farm Bill that would expand the Fresh Fruit & Vegetable program to include all forms, including non-fresh fruits and vegetables i.e. canned, frozen and dried;
· Two sign-on letter requests with a tight-turn around were reviewed (from USBC & AND) regarding immigration policies and breastfeeding. ASPHN did not sign on to these letters, due to a lack of sufficient time to properly vet the substance of these letters and their political nuances;
· ASPHN signed on to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics letter in support of the “Developing Best Practices for Integrating Food and Nutrition Concepts into K-12 Education Act.” The bill would require the Department of Education to provide funding for pilot projects to states for testing strategies for integrating food and nutrition concepts into elementary and secondary education.