Learning Module: Introduction to Child Development for WIC Staff
Please fill out the feedback survey in order to receive a certificate of completion.
As a WIC provider, you play a critical role in the health and wellbeing of children. You are also very well positioned to help identify children who might need extra support with their development. In addition to some basics of child development, participants will learn about the free resources available to help WIC staff engage and educate families about their children’s development using free materials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s “Learn the Signs. Act Early.”
In this course WIC staff will learn:
- What developmental milestones are
- Why monitoring children’s development is important
- How to empower parents to monitor their children’s developmental milestones
- How to support families by offering a referral for screening or other services
* Please keep in mind! There is no expectation that WIC staff become experts in child development. In fact, no expertise is needed to be able to support families with the Developmental Milestone Checklist Program. This course is intended to offer a basic introduction to child development to help WIC staff feel more comfortable talking to WIC participants about their child’s development.