The ASPHN Board of Directors met on August 12, 2022.
- Two General membership applications were approved: Katlyn Boghosian (NY) and Amber Gray (NY)
- Five Associate member applications were approved: Jordan Abel (IL); Beth Cordova (CA); Kiah Hawes (VA); Barbara Ann Hughes (NC); and Martin Smith (AZ)
- Motion to approve the revised “Guidelines for How We Work Together” with the addition of “leave the names behind” passed unanimously.
- Motion to approve the nomination of Emily Mattern to the Governance Committee to fulfill the National Fruit & Vegetable Council vacancy during the 2022-2023 leadership year passed unanimously.
- Motion to approve the “MCH Nutrition Council Liaison” policy and procedure as presented by the MCH Nutrition Council Steering Committee passed unanimously.
- Motion to approve $25 fee for retired individuals who join as an Associate Member passed unanimously.
- Policy Committee actions on behalf of ASPHN since last board report:
- Signed-on in support of the Trust for America’s Health (TFAH) letter requesting funding for the program of $153 million, which would enable the Social Determinants of Health (SDOH) program planning grants to expand to every state and territory. This increase in funding would generate additional research opportunities for SDOH interventions and allow grantees to begin implementing their plans. This letter is similar to the support letter from last year.
- Signed-on in support of the FoodCorps Team’s letter urging President Biden to make food education and school meals for all a priority for the Conference
- Signed-on to the National Alliance for Nutrition and Physical Activity (NANA) Steering Committee letter addressed to President Biden and Ambassador Rice; applauding the Biden-Harris Administration’s plan to convene a White House Conference on Hunger, Nutrition, and Health White House Conference.
- Signed-on in support of the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) citizen petition filed by CSPI and the Philadelphia Department of Public Health, that calls on the FDA to make it easier for states and localities to seek exemptions from federal food labeling laws
- Signed-on to the NANA Steering Committee letter Recommendations for the Healthy Food Incentive Fund addressed to the to US Department of Agriculture:
- Signed-on to a Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) and Friends of the Earth letter addressed to the White House Conference on Hunger, Nutrition, and Health coordinating team recommending the strategy to end hunger and increase healthy eating physical activity by 2030 include an executive order to require implementation of the Food Service Guidelines for Federal Facilities (FSG) in all federally owned and operated facilities and establish comprehensive, values-driven food procurement standards for federal agencies.
- Signed-on to the U.S. Breastfeeding Committee policy teams letter urging members of congress to support funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Hospitals Promoting Breastfeeding program which helps subsidize critical initiatives championing breastfeeding families.
- Joined as a signer on the citizen petition for the FDA to adopt a mandatory, nutrient-specific, interpretive front-of-package nutrition labeling system for all packaged foods sold in the U.S.
Final July 2022 board meeting minutes