The ASPHN Board of Directors met on August 11, 2023.
- Five General member applications were approved: Melissa Fedt (AZ); Ellen Hill (OR); Jennifer Edmonson (PA); and Stephanie Bergen and Suzanne Kelley (VT).
- Three Associate member applications were approved, including one student: Maria Distler (MI); and Laura Moores and Casey Steciw (MN).
- Motion to approve the August 1, 2023 to July 31, 2028 ASPHN Strategic Plan which includes a new vision, mission, core values, goals, and objectives passed unanimously.
- Policy Committee actions on behalf of ASPHN since last board report:
- ASPHN MCH Nutrition Council Steering Committee, in collaboration with the Policy Committee’s Co-Chairs Chris Mornick and Emily Moree, submitted ASPHN comments to HRSA on the MCHB Information Collection Request Title: Title V Maternal and Child Health Services Block Grant to States Program: Guidance and Forms for the Title V Application/Annual Report, OMB No. 0915-0172-Revision. (Posted in Basecamp)
- Submitted comments on behalf of ASPHN to the FDA in support of its 30-day Notice Regarding Quantitative Research on Front of Package Labeling (FDA-2023-N-0155). Pursuit of this research will aid in the selection of an evidence-based front-of-package (FOP) labeling scheme that will help consumers quickly and easily identify foods and build healthy eating patterns.
- Signed on in support of the Center for Science in the Public Interest letter opposing policy rider (Sec. 762) included in the final House FY24 Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies spending bill (FY24 agriculture spending bill).
- Signed on to the Center for Science in the Public Interest’s comments addressed to theDepartment of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration in support of FDA’s proposed Quantitative Research on Front of Package Labeling (FDA-2023-N-0155).