The ASPHN Board of Directors met on May 8, 2020.
1. Eight Expanded membership applications were approved: Kimberly Callow (AZ), Mikayla Gallo (GA), Jean Gerber (MO), Heather Holland (MI), Emily McFarland (MO), Lauren Sciacca (MO), Christa Valentine (NY), Alyssa Ward (AZ) .
2. One Associate (one Student) membership application was approved: Gabrielle Brewer (MI).
3. A motion to approve continuation of membership rights and privileges for New Jersey until December 31, 2020 approved unanimously.
4. A motion to approve that ASPHN pursue an agreement with the American Heart Association, for ASPHN to become a Grantee for the American Heart Association’s – Healthy for Life program in 2020-2021, and approve up to $5,000 of unrestricted funds to cover costs to administer the agreement passed unanimously.
5. A motion to approve membership applications submitted by Vermont WIC staff for Associate membership with a $400 application fee passed unanimously.
6. Policy Committee actions on behalf of ASPHN since last board report:
– Submitted comments to the U.S. Department of Agriculture opposing USDA’s proposed ruling to make significant changes to existing school lunch rules.
– Signed-on in support of:
o Center for Science in the Public’s Interest (CSPI) letter addressed to Congress and the White House requesting SNAP be included in the COVID-19 stimulus package and increase the maximum benefit available to all households by 15 percent, increase the minimum benefit from $16-$30, and delay the implementation of proposed and final rules that the Administration has issued for SNAP.
o No Kid Hungry letter to the USDA encouraging the extension of COVID-19 Child Nutrition Response waivers.
o United State Breastfeeding Committee (USBC) letter urging members of Congress to support supplemental funding for infant and young child feeding in emergencies in order to address immediate and urgent needs during the COVID-19 pandemic.