The ASPHN Board of Directors met on April 10, 2020.
- 1. The Board approved 3 new Expanded Member applications: Angel Cunningham (WV), Jodi Giancola (WV), Brittany Martens (CO); and 3 new Associate Member (Student) applications: Elizabeth Brandley (VA), Taryn Smith (LA), Jessell Souhadra (IL). A new ASPHN Designee was appointed in Texas, Lauren Maxwell.
2. A motion to close election ballots passed unanimously.
3. Policy Committee actions on behalf of ASPHN since last board report:
- Signed on in support of:
- The Black Maternal Health Caucus’ “Momnibus” package of (10) bills that addresses black maternal health disparities. The comprehensive package includes a wide range of policy ideas – from expanding WIC access to diversifying the perinatal workforce to supporting mothers who are veterans to protecting pregnant women who are incarcerated.
- The Center for Science in the Public’s Interest (CSPI) letter to the USDA opposing the “Simplifying Meal Service and Monitoring Requirements in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs” proposed rule (85 FR 4094).
- The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ letter in support of the Medical Nutrition Therapy Act of 2020, to be introduced by Rep. Engel in late March. The bill would extend Medicare Part B coverage for medical nutrition therapy to include obesity, hypertension, prediabetes, malnutrition, eating disorders, cancer, and more.
- The 50th Anniversary of the White House Conference on Food, Nutrition, and Health: Honoring the Past, Taking Actions for our Future report.
- Letter addressed to members of Congress on behalf of the Maternal, Infant, and Early Childhood Home Visiting program (MIECHV); asking for Congressional support during the COVID-19 emergency to include:
- A one-time $100 million appropriation for MIECH
- Virtual visits be considered home visits
- Funding to maintain all staffing levels of MIECHV programs